Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Grannie

The lovely times I enjoyed with my Grannie are memories I will forever cherish.  Hello presents came with her every visit along with the exciting suitcase unpacking game. We found gummy bears and other treats as we unpacked her belongings for our visit.  I ALWAYS wanted her to stay in my room...because to "give up" your room for Grannie was a "sacrifice "rewarded with extra gummy bears. The German kind...the Best!  Grannie also had the Very Best jelly beans...Jelly Belly! Divine treats! :)
I remember cleaning my room to secretly earn cash from Grannie for my coveted purple BMX bike....dirt bike....and I earned it ....that was hard work! I was like 8yrs old. :) When I earned good marks on my report card...the rewards were double cause parents AND grannies like good marks...so I got good marks! It is also very important to mention our trips to Mrs Qweny...Grannies hairdresser and manicureist. Decisions like the haircut in this pic....my very first Shorty cut...were the results.  Dad was in Germany and Mommy had gone to get her hair done...I persuaded Grannie and got my haircut. Mommy was mortified and Dad had a cow while I was in heaven! :) Grannies know exactly what girls need. ALWAYS! Her favorite haunt was Red Lobster....and I went with her every visit....and got our favorite...popcorn shrimp...and a virgin Shirley Temple. I still love cherrys to this day and so does Perry...my youngest baby...named for her and the family. :) Summers with Grannie always included visits to her cabin Grandaddy and the Uncle's built at Lake Martin. I learned to swim,dive,search underwater, ski, slalom, hike, treat poison ivy, cook smores, and scores of other things there. My uncle's were very helpful in my lake education ...:) that's all I'm saying about that...and a certain styrofoam surfboard will not be mentioned.  Lol
Memories will not fade as long as I continue to remember. :0)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have the last of the styrofoam surfboards :)

Rosemary said...

Your Grannie was a most incredibly loving lady and there are many days that go by that I don't think about her and all the fun James and I had spending summers with her and your grandfather. She loved all of you with such a whole and full heart....as she loved all of us. I just founf your blog listed on Avigail's blog so added myself and hope you will be able to access mine. Avigail is having a problem getting on mine so I need to find out why.